The DC Statehood Green Party (DCSGP) is a progressive, grassroots organization dedicated to representing the interests and values of the citizens of the District of Columbia. We are the District's second largest political party by vote total and a the state affiliate of the Green Party of the United States. DCSGP strives to build a society in which all can lead full and productive lives in harmony with each other and with nature. The movement is inspired by the interrelated Four Pillars of Ecological Wisdom, Nonviolence, Social and Economic Justice and Grassroots Democracy.
Green Party Positions
The DCSGP and its endorsed candidates accept no contributions from corporations or political action committees (PACs). The DC Statehood Green Party stands for:
- The development of clean and sustainable sources of energy to replace ecologically harmful energy sources
- An economy that keeps dollars in the community, making them more self-sufficient and self-reliant
- A society in which wealth and power are distributed broadly rather than concentrated in the hands of a few
- The promotion of family farming over corporate farming, and organic farming over chemically-dependent practices
- Land use policies that promote mass transit and pedestrian neighborhoods over urban sprawl
- Respect for Native American treaty rights
- A woman's right to full reproductive choice
- Vigorous public action to combat discrimination on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity and sexual orientation
- Legalizing marriage for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons by applying the same standards and requirements as applied to different-sexed couples.
- Waste management policies that place their highest emphasis on waste reduction
- An international trade policy that promotes the rights of labor and protection of the environment worldwide