DAVID SCHWARTZMAN (AT-LARGE COUNCILMEMBER)
David is campaigning on a platform to empower working class District residents by establishing a DC public bank, raising the state tax rate on DC's highest earners to offset the GOP tax cuts for the wealthy, and fighting to implement Initiative 77 and Paid Family Leave here in the District. A resident of Washington, DC since 1977, David has previously run for public office in DC in 1998, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014.
For the many, not the few! If you want an alternative to trickle-down economics and housing, consider this! I will champion these critical steps for a better quality of life for all DC residents:
- Curb public deals/subsidies from DC’s revenue going to gentrification and displacement of long-term residents. Strengthen the Comprehensive Plan for residents, block the developers' efforts to weaken it! No Amazon Deal!
- Recover the big federal income tax cut for wealthy DC residents as revenue for DC by hiking the DC income tax rates for the same taxpayers, leaving them paying the same overall taxes (federal plus DC), thereby generating at least $250 million more in 2019, to fund affordable housing for low-income residents, the homeless, financing community land trusts, repairing public housing, and boost rental assistance, income support for low-income residents (increase TANF and tax rebates). For more details go to https://www.dcctj.org/.
- Support Save Our System Coalition (WMATA), for progressive dedicated funding, lower fares and better service, worker rights, against privatization of the Metro system.
- Stronger action by our Mayor/Council to protect our residents, especially our children from exposure to lead in drinking water!
- I support the goals of Black Lives Matter and Stop Police Terror Project DC, cut DC Police ties to Israel,
- I support the non-violent global BDS campaign, standing in solidarity with Palestinians for equal rights. Our Mayor and Council should too!
- Save McMillan Park, Green sustainable development by open bid, void the Mayor’s VMP bad deal!
- Support Paid Family Leave and Carbon Rebate for DC residents, stronger Labor Law Enforcement and Rent Control, Universal Child Care and Immigrant Rights! Justice for Returning Citizens! Divest from Wall Street, forward to a DC Public Bank and DC Public Power! No more rain tax (imperious area charge)!
- Traffic fines based on income instead of a regressive one-for-all charge (following Finland’s lead).
The DC Statehood Green Party is the only DC ballot-status party that does not take corporate/developer contributions
- Resident in DC since 1976, live in Brightwood neighborhood, Ward 4
- Professor Emeritus, Howard University
- Chair, Political Policy and Action Committee, DC Statehood Green Party
- Member of: ONE DC, Empower DC, the Fair Budget Coalition, Grassroots Planning Coalition, Green Neighbors, Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America, DC for Democracy
- Steering Committee: DC Public Banking Center, DC Human Rights City Committee.
David is an ecosocialist and scientist focusing on climate change and energy.
DAVID'S POSITION ON SANCTUARY DC
David supports demands for expanded enforcement of laws against wage theft, which disproportionately harms immigrant communities. David is strongly against any cooperation between DC government policing agencies and ICE. No “ICE Holds” for immigrants held at the DC Jail, that is, no reporting of undocumented immigrants to ICE. I pledge now and once elected to the DC Council to help organize and participate in civil disobedience if necessary to defend Sanctuary DC.
DAVID'S POSITION ON THE RIGHTS OF RETURNING CITIZENS
I support current efforts to restore the DC Board of Parole, restoring local control to parole decisions from the U.S. Parole Commission. I believe this single move can significantly reduce D.C.’s prison population and improve reentry support efforts for returning citizens. This will also improve conditions for Statehood for DC by starting the process of localizing DC’s criminal system from the current federal control.
I support for massive expansion of funding for the Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen Affairs (MORCA). This office has been grossly underfunded (under $1 million annually) since it was creating, leaving returning citizens with limited resources for finding housing, employment and social services after they are released.
I do not support for the “Reentry Portal,” which has added millions in additional funding to the Department of Corrections with no vision for how this will improve life for returning citizens. This is a bad idea. This money should be appropriated to MORCA, not the Department of Corrections. I support establishing a comprehensive housing program for returning citizens upon their release from incarceration. No returning citizen, or any DC resident, should be reduced to homelessness.
HEAR DAVID SPEAK
David Schwartzman on Shadow Politics: listen HERE.
David's DCTV presentation to voters: listen HERE.
David Schwartzman DC Council At-Large views on a Green and Just DC: listen HERE.
David Schwartzman DC Council At-Large views on why and how Child Poverty can be eliminated, improving the quality of life for all: listen HERE.
David Schwartzman DC Council At-Large views on the fact that DC has a Black Mayor, but White Supremacy is a reality! Listen HERE.
Video of David's testimony on Councilmember Cheh's Clean Energy Bill: listen HERE.
- Greater Greater Washington (GGW) 2018 Primary Questionnaire
- DC National Organization for Women (NOW) 2018 Candidate Questionnaire
- What have I done for DC Statehood Questionnaire
- Vote16DC Candidate Questionnaire (May 2018)
- 2018 Candidate Questionnaire on Criminal Justice Issues
- All Walks DC Candidate Survey
- Washington Informer Voters Guide
- Caribbean-American Political Action Committee (C-PAC)
- 2018 GLAA Questionnaire for D.C. Council Candidates
- GLAA Record, 2018
- DC Candidates' Food Forum May 15th
- League of Women Voters questionnaire
- Schwartzman's Testimony, Budget Oversight Hearing, COW, April 27, 2018
- Lowering the voting age eligibility to 16 for D.C. local election
- WTU Candidate Questionnaire
- Metro DC DSA
- Metro Washington Council AFL-CIO
- Testimony on Initiative 77, Sept. 17, 2018
- Testimony on Cheh's Clean Energy Bill
DONATE TO DAVID'S CAMPAIGN
Make check to The Committee to Elect David Schwartzman 2018
Mail to David Schwartzman, 1634 Montague St NW, Washington DC 20011
Be sure to put your employer (or if you are retired) on the memo of the check! We accept contributions up to the limit of $1000, no contributions from corporations are accepted. (Once DC Fair Elections is in place, likely in 2020, the limit will be much lower)
Remember, at the general election everyone can cast two votes for Council At-Large.
For more on the issues: https://dcsgp.nationbuilder.com/
Contact David: email@example.com, 202-829-9063
Slogans (e.g., for signs): Affordable housing for all, Repair Public Housing, Income support by progressive taxes, DC Public Bank, Stop displacement of long-term residents !, Paid Family Leave and a Carbon Rebate, Save our System (WMATA)! Lead-free water for our residents! Strengthen Rent Control!, Implement Initiative 77, A Living Wage for All!